Monday 11 March 2013

Showing off!


This is little outfit post that's basically just me showing off, hehe :b

My parents recently went to Vietnam, and having been told that there are lots of good tailors in Hoi An, they brought along my measurements to see if they could bring me home something custom-made.

My mother ordered a dress, a tunic and a suit jacket for me.
The suit jacket was....... bad. The fit was not all bad, better than a store-bought, but still not quite tailored (the bust-to-waist ratio was off) and I just really, really didn't like the style, but fortuneatly my grandmother did, so I quickly passed it to her.
Next up was the dress:
It's quite wonderfully made- the patterned fabric is very thin and transparent - a brown silk lining is sewn under the whole body, and is a skirt from the waist-band down - it's left transparent at the sleeves, and is reinforced with a thicker, more textured fabric at the neckline and sleeve-hems.
The shape is created from princess seams, and the back is also made of 4 panels.
The fit was off a bit in a weird way - it seemed like the piece between the shoulders and waist-band was too long - I fear they may have made room for boobs on the back as well. Luckily this was an easy fix (for my mom - I can't sew!), despite the interesting way the back-zipper is set up: It doesn't zip up the neck!

I really think this is a beautiful dress, though I think it gives me a quite different body-shape! It's a little tight in bust area, in a rather minimizing way, and the rather skimmed lower body (it was a little snug on the lower belly when I got it, though it appears I've gotten a bit smaller since...) gives me a smaller, straighter figure.

Then we have the tunic:
Isn't it lovely? I rather like the length, as I don't mind going short to a club etc. It's obviously not fitted, but it still manages to define some of my figure. The style is very much me overall, so I have to give my mother credit on this one :b It's also very easy to accessorize!
It is rather clingy, however, and transparent for that matter, so I need to wear something under it, which I don't mind - makes me a bit more dressed than just wearing a flowy tunic and tights.
This was also a bit too large all over, but we took it in at the waist a bit, which actually worked well:

I really like how both things have some common elements - the middle panel and the collar for example, which does give it a bit of eastern feel, without looking out of place.


My parents got abseloutly amazing clothes made - since they could go back for a second fitting, they got truly perfect tailored clothing. And very beautiful pieces at that, I've wanted to sneak a couple of those things in my weekend bag after visiting them!

Well, that was me for showing off :b I've got a whole stack of things I want to write about and review, but was a bit lazy this week, so expect it later xD

1 comment:

  1. Wow. You are right that the dress gives you a different shape. Especially from the front, it makes your boobs abd hips look closer to your waist size. Effectively, less of an hourglass! I wonder how they do that? I wonder if it is the busy-ness of the print that does that? Makes me want to try wearing prints.

    I'm not a big fan of brown in general but that dress is an exception, it's gorgeous. I also love the tunic.

    ReplyDelete